Saturday, August 25, 2018

Arrival

I've arrived in China.

After a total of about 15 hours of flying, I made it here, arriving at 3:20 pm on Saturday (China time).  And, everything is new and different.

My apartment is nice.  There are two bedrooms, a cooking area, an eating area, and a small sunporch looking place.  I look out over a street (at some point I'll give you some photos), and right near my place is this grocery story and an amazing small bakery. Oh, yeah, and a KFC. ~shifty eyes~

Adjusting is going to be difficult, but I'm sure that I'll get used to it.  I mean, I'll be here for a year, so adjusting will happen.  And, I'm going to try to learn some of the language, but it won't be easy.

Odd things:

1) The bed is as hard as a rock.  Like, literally.  I'm used to sleeping on a memory foam mattress, and while a change isn't bad, my back is not agreeing.  Thank goodness for sleeping aides?!

2) The bathroom.  This is actually kind of cool. It works like a shower stall.  Quit literally.  Which means, everything gets wet when I want to take a shower. Hah.  It amuses me.

I went to the grocery store yesterday, walked around forever, and settled on sponges and bottles of water because I couldn't read anything else.  Granted, I did find some nutella, which I almost succumbed to, but it was super expensive, so I resisted.  Still though, I couldn't read the labels on anything, although it was easy to spot the packaged ramen.  One of my fellow teachers found a walmart, so I might end up there later for some lovely toilet paper....and maybe some food? Oh yeah, and hangers.

Dumpling Update:

I have not found any yet, but I will! =]


7 comments: